USERNAMES AND POSTINGS
Comments or other information posted by you to our forums, wikis or other areas of the Site designed for public communications or communications among registered class Partners and Collaborators may be viewed and downloaded by others who visit the Site. For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding whether to post any information that can be used to identify you to those forums (or other public or classwide areas).
We endeavor to limit the collection of Personal Information to what we need with respect to specific Site activities in order to satisfy business, legal, or regulatory requirements. For example, if you wish to purchase an ID Verified Certificate of Achievement, we will collect certain Personal Information necessary to authenticate your identity, as described in greater detail in the HKMOOC Terms of Service. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication information, then you will not be able to purchase a certificate via the Site.
HKMOOC does not currently collect financial information from you; however, if you choose to purchase an ID Verified Certificate of Achievement, you will be directed to our third party payment processor; and the submission of your payment information will be subject to the terms found at the payment landing page accessible via HKMOOC Terms of Service.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect information, including Personal Information (described above), when you sign up for a user account, participate in online courses, register for a paid certificate, send us email messages and/or participate in our public forums. We also collect certain usage information about student performance and patterns of learning. In addition, we track information indicating, among other things, which pages of our Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used.
We may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software used by each user of the Site, and we may be able to determine from an IP address a user's Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of his or her point of connectivity. Various web analytics tools are used to collect this information. Some of the information is collected through cookies (small text files placed on your computer that store information about you, which can be accessed by the Site). You should be able to control how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the "Help" section of the toolbar. If you reject our cookies, many functions and conveniences of this Site may not work properly.
USE AND DISCLOSURE TO THIRD PARTIES
Among other things, we and the educational institutions and other leading global partners and collaborators that provide courses through HKMOOC (the "Partners and Collaborators") may use the information about you collected through the Site (including your Personal Information) in connection with the following. In cases where we share or disclose your Personal Information: (1) the third party recipients are required to handle the Personal Information in a confidential manner and to maintain adequate security to protect the information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, and destruction; and (2) we will only disclose and share the Personal Information that is required by the third party to fulfill the purpose stated at the time of collection.
- To enable the Partners and Collaborators to provide, administer, and improve the courses.
- To help us and the Partners and Collaborators improve HKMOOC offerings, both individually (e.g., by course staff when working with a student) and in aggregate, and to individualize the experience and to evaluate the access and use of the Site and the impact of HKMOOC on the worldwide educational community.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education.
- For the purpose for which you specifically provided the information, for example, to respond to a specific inquiry or provide you with access to the specific course content and/or services you select.
- To track both individual and aggregate attendance, progress and completion of an online course, and to analyze statistics on student performance and how students learn.
- To monitor and detect violations of the Honor Code, the Terms of Service, as well as other misuses and potential misuses of the Site.
- To publish information, but not Personal Information, gathered about HKMOOC access, use, impact, and student performance.
- To send you updates about online courses offered by HKMOOC or other events, to send you communications about products or services of HKMOOC, HKMOOC affiliates, or selected business partners that may be of interest to you, or to send you email messages about Site maintenance or updates.
- To archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- To maintain and improve the functioning and security of the Site and our software, systems, and network.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- To authenticate your identity when you register for a paid certificate.
- To process refunds, as applicable.
We will share information we collect with the Partners and Collaborators, and we and the Partners and Collaborators may share this information (including Personal Information) with third parties as follows:
- With service providers or contractors that perform certain functions on our or the Partners and Collaborators' behalf, including processing information that you provide to us on the Site, processing purchases via third party providers, and other transactions through the Site, operating the Site or portions of it, providing or administering courses, or in connection with other aspects of HKMOOC or Member services.
- With other visitors to the Site, to the extent that you submit comments, course work, or other information or content (collectively, "Postings") to a portion of the Site designed for public communications; and with other Partners and Collaborators of an HKMOOC class of which you are a member, to the extent you submit Postings to a portion of the Site designed for viewing by those class Partners and Collaborators. We may provide your Postings to students who later enroll in the same classes as you, within the context of the forums, the courseware, or otherwise. If we do re-post your Postings originally made to non-public portions of the Site, we will post them without your real name and e-mail (except with your express permission), but we may use your username without your consent.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education. However, we will only share Personal Information about you for this purpose to the extent doing so complies with applicable law and is limited to the Personal Information required to fulfill the purposes stated at the time of collection.
- To provide opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals. For instance, we may recommend specific study partners or connect potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, we may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but we will only provide other users your username, and not disclose your real name or e-mail address to your contact.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- For integration with third party services. For example, videos and other content may be hosted on YouTube and other websites not controlled by HKMOOC.
In addition, we may share aggregated information that does not personally identify you with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners.
USE FOR PERSONALIZATION AND PEDAGOGICAL IMPROVEMENTS
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
HKMOOC has a program designed to protect Personal Information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures, including administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the Personal Information that it creates, receives, maintains, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, HKMOOC cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Effective Date: April 20, 2016
Honor Code Pledge
For the details of the Honor Code Pledge, please refer to here.